Preparing your treatment schedule
After you and your doctor have determined your treatment plan, you will need to work with your healthcare team to figure out the dates and times of your treatment and to determine whether the schedule is flexible or must be adhered to very closely. The effectiveness of some treatment plans may depend on how well you follow the scheduled timeframes of your treatment. Good communication with your healthcare team is essential as you plan your treatment schedule. Your healthcare team can answer questions about what you should expect during and after your treatment.
Ask yourself some questions before scheduling your treatment:
- Are there certain days of the week and times that work best for my schedule?
- Who is going to accompany me to the treatment, and what will be the best days/time for them?
- Are there any important holidays, work or social activities that I would prefer not to miss?
Questions for your healthcare team:
- What specific treatments will I receive, and who will give me the treatment?
- Will I need a ride home after the treatment?
- Can a family member or friend accompany me or stay with me during treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital after treatment?
- Can you walk me through the treatment? What will happen during it? How will it feel?
- Will there be immediate or long-term side effects?
- What things can I do to help myself? Will diet and exercise help?
- What resources are available to me if I need them?