Forrest General's Cancer Wellness program is a comprehensive wellness program reserved and designed for those patients who have been diagnosed with cancer within the past year. The program provides a supervised exercise program developed for people battling cancer, in remission and/or cancer survivors. It is a 10-week program that is structured and supportive of the recovery process that meets for 90 minutes, twice a week at Forrest General Wellness.
The exercises are individualized for each participant in a supervised class format. Participants receive benefits of a support program (sense of belonging), help through a difficult period, working through discomfort, education modules, and gaining strength and stamina through exercise. Participants also have monthly access to the dietitian, wellness counselor and exercise physiologist.
Forrest General Wellness also offers Cancer Wellness at Home, a 10-week program that includes weekly motivational calls about exercise, support education, nutrition, stress, encouragement, and to answer any questions. The participants will be encouraged to keep an activity log, documenting any movement or exercise for that day, as well as encouraging them to participate on-line with the "I Can Cope" education module for the week. Participants have access to the dietitian, wellness counselor and exercise physiologist via e-mail or phone.
Possible benefits of regular exercise during cancer treatment:
- Keep or improve physical abilities
- Better balance, lower risk of falls and broken bones
- Prevent muscles from wasting due to inactivity
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Less risk of osteoporosis (weak bones that are more likely to break)
- Better blood flow to legs and lower risk of blood clots
- Less dependence on others to do normal activities of daily living
- Improved self-esteem
- Lower risk of anxiety and depression
- Less nausea
- Better ability to keep social contacts
- Fewer symptoms of fatigue
- Better weight control
- Improved quality of life
To find out more about the programs at Forrest General Wellness, call 601-288-1360.