Forrest General Hospital Wound Healing Center
Providing Hope for Healing
Do you or someone you care about have a wound that will not heal?
The Wound Healing Center specializes in the treatement and management of complex problem wounds, including:
- Diabetic foot or leg ulcers
- Lower leg ulcers due to poor circulation
- Chronic soft tissue infections
- Radiation tissue damage
- Preservation of skin grafts
- Crush injuries
- Conditions that could lead to amputation if not aggressively treated and properly managed.
Our medical team treats the whole person, not just the wound. Problem wounds rarely result from a single cause. A treatment plan is tailored to meet each patient's specific needs in close collaboration with their primary care physician and/or referring physician. Strong emphasis is placed on patient education and proper nutrition, with the goal of preventing the wound from reoccurring and reducing the likelihood of future problems.
Treatments offered at the Wound Healing Center include:
- Management of difficult to heal acute and chronic wounds.
- Specialized wound dressings
- Contact casting
- Negative pressure therapy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Diabetic and pressure ulcer management
- Wound infection management
- Nutrition counseling, education and prevention
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy:
One of the most successful and sought-after treatments in wound healing is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBO). HBO increases oxygen in the patient's blood, allowing oxygen to pass more easily through the plasma and into the wounds to heal them. The patient receives treatment in a HBO chamber, which delivers 100% oxygen at a higher than normal atmospheric pressure. Medical science has shown that this provides elevated systemic levels of oxygen to enhance the body's ability to heal. Though each patient responds differently to therapy, the average patient will receive 20-40 HBO treatments to heal a problem wound. Your doctor will determine whether HBO is an appropriate part of your treatment plan.
Physicians and Staff:
- Dr. Lewis Hatten, (Medical Director)
- Dr. William Peters
- Dr. Ralph Kahler
- Dr. Luis Marcos
- Vanessa Waters, RN, Program Manager
- Monica Burt, RN
- Doug Miller, RRT, Safety Director, HBO Tech
- Chandra Davis, LPN, Scheduling Coordinator
- Rick Stevens, RN
- Jana Breeden, RN
- Sherie Keen, RT, (R) (T) Office Manager
Proven SUCCESS in a Caring and Supportive Environment - Forrest General's Wound Healing Center is staffed with a unique team of doctors, nurses and techs who are especially successful at caring for people whose open sores have resisted traditional treatment.