Forrest General Hospital’s New Advanced Technology in Radiation Therapy
Forrest General Hospital offers advanced technology in the delivery of Radiation Treatment to our customers. With the recent installation of the Varian TrueBeam and Trilogy Linear Accelerators, our Cancer Center offers the most advanced image-guided radiation therapy system for conventional and stereotactic approaches to treating cancer. Some of the clinical capabilities available at our Cancer Center are listed below:
- Sophisticated imaging for planning and CIVCO's Protura Robotic couch for patient positioning – The robotic couch provides 6 degrees of freedom in patient positioning resulting in sub millimeter accuracy in the treatment
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy – IGRT – This technology ensures that the target is in the same position every treatment session and in sync with the patient’s respiration
- Intensity Modulation Therapy – IMRT – “paints” the radiation dose onto the tumor with pinpoint precision. This helps to spare the patient’s surrounding healthy tissue
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Radiotherapy – This is a radiation delivery procedure that precisely delivers large does to tumors and other relevant anatomical targets in one to five treatments with minimal dose to the surrounding healthy tissue. This type of treatment allows patients to complete their treatments in one week instead of 5-6 weeks
- Rapid Arc Technology – reduces treatment time from 15-20 minutes to 2- 5 minutes
- Targeted Radiation Treatments that deliver promising results for this sophisticated treatment – enables the treatment of more complex cancer tumors in a variety of organs
- TrueBeam and Trilogy systems offers CT Imaging on board – this allows our physicians to target smaller tumors with a greater degree of accuracy
- The TrueBeam system is digitally automated – this means that it can proceed through the entire treatment without the Radiation Therapist looking down at the console, allowing them to concentrate entirely on the patient
- Patients experience reduced side effects; spend less time on the machine to complete treatment, and helps to provide a better quality of life during and after treatment
Another highly successful radiation treatment method offered at Forrest General Hospital’s Cancer center is Brachytherapy. Brachytherapy treats cancer by placing radioactive sources directly into or next to the area requiring treatment. This enables our physicians to deliver a high dose with minimal impact on the patient’s surrounding healthy tissue.
Brachytherapy has proven to be a highly successful treatment for cancers of the prostate, cervix, endometrium, breast, skin, bronchus, esophagus, head and neck, as well as soft tissue sarcomas and other types of cancer.
Varian’s Trilogy Linear Accelerator
Varian’s TrueBeam Linear Accelerator