Medicine Surgery Women & Children Ortho/Neuro Emergency / Trauma Heart & Vascular Oncology Behavioral Health More Services
Print    Email


Ask a Medical Question
Physician Recruitment
Online Pre-registration
OB Online Registration
About Us
Patients & Visitors
Health Library
Ways to Give
Email a Patient
Calendar
News
Links
Ask a Nurse
For Physicians
Vendor Information





Forrest General is accredited by DNV Healthcare







Timeline
FGH Firsts | Timeline

1946

  • The Jaycees Public Health Committee formally proposed to the Junior Chamber of Commerce a need to establish a new hospital. The measure then was proposed to the Forrest County Board of Supervisors.

1947

  • Forrest County citizens approved a $350,000 bond issue to purchase a 13-acre site to build Forrest County General Hospital.

1950

  • Surveyors began constructing the original hospital building.

1952

  • Forrest General opened as a 90-bed community hospital under the leadership of Administrator Reagan Long.

1953

  • W.C. Kingsberry became the second administrator of Forrest General, succeeding Reagan Long.

1957

  • Ten additional patient rooms were added, bringing total beds to 100.

1962

  • Lowery A. Woodall was named administrator of Forrest General.
  • An alteration and addition to B-wing was completed.

1963

  • Forrest General began operating on a self-sustaining basis with no allocation of county tax money.

1964

  • An addition of 60 new patient rooms brought Forrest General's total beds to 160.
  • Air conditioning was installed throughout the hospital building.

1967

  • Forrest General became South Mississippi's first hospital to establish a Cobalt Unit for the treatment of cancer patients.

1968

  • Phase I of Forrest General's long-range expansion plan was completed, adding new diagnostic, treatment, support and office facilities.
  • Forrest General established South Mississippi's first Coronary Care Unit (CCU).

1969

  • Forrest General became one of several Mississippi hospitals to receive helicopter service as part of a state program. Helicopter service was sustained with the formation of the Southeast Mississippi Air Ambulance District.

1970

  • Phase II of Forrest General's expansion plan was completed, adding a 20-bed Psychiatric Unit, Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and 100 additional patient rooms. The bed capacity increased to 260.
  • The first corneal transplant was performed at Forrest General.

1971

  • The first pacemaker was implanted at Forrest General.

1972

  • Phase III of Forrest General's expansion plan was completed, adding 60 new patient rooms. The bed capacity increased to 320.

1973

  • First Mississippi hospital to establish a camp for youth with diabetes

1975

  • Forrest General established a remote monitoring system for cardiac patients hospitalized in other South Mississippi hospitals.

1976

  • Swan-Ganz catheter was first used at Forrest General for temporary transvenous pacing of the heart.

1977

  • Phase IV of Forrest General's expansion plan was completed, adding 100 additional beds and space for new departments and support areas. Bed capacity increased to 420.

1978

  • Forrest General's Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory was opened.
  • An addition was completed to the Physical Therapy area.
  • The Heliport was constructed for use with Rescue 7 air ambulance.

1981

  • The Respiratory Therapy area was expanded and relocated.

1984

  • Phase V of Forrest General's expansion plan was completed to add Pine Grove, a psychiatric and chemical dependency treatment facility. The licensed bed capacity increased to 537.
  • The Lowery A. Woodall Outpatient Surgery facility, located on South 28th Avenue, began operation.

1985

  • The first open-heart surgery was performed at Forrest General.
  • Forrest General began offering home health services through Home Care.
  • A crosswalk was constructed to connect Forrest General with Hattiesburg Clinic.

1986

  • Phase VI was completed, adding an enlarged and renovated area, as well as a linear accelerator for the treatment of cancer patients.
  • Forrest General began offering lithotripsy to treat kidney stones without surgery.

1987

  • Forrest General Hospital Rehabilitation Services, a 20-bed rehabilitation unit, opened.
  • A 20,000 square-foot labor and delivery facility began operation.
  • Forrest General opened The Carl R. Hale Radiation Therapy Center, a new and expanded facility for radiation treatments.
  • Cardiologists performed the first balloon angioplasty.

1988

  • Forrest General installed a permanent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) unit.

1990

  • The Pine Grove Life Focus Center opened to offer outpatient counseling.

1991

  • The Pine Grove Counseling Center of Laurel opened.

1992

  • Pine Grove's Adolescent Pavilion was completed; adult psychiatric facilities were expanded.

1993

  • Construction began on Phase VII, Forrest General's largest expansion project.
  • Forrest General announced the establishment of HealthCare Alliance, a partnership between Forrest General and area physicians to offer managed care contracts to area employers.
  • The Pine Grove Coastal Care Center opened.

1995

  • Construction was completed on Phase VII, adding 165 new patient rooms.
  • Forrest General received an "Excellence Award" in the Mississippi Quality Awards Competition.
  • The Pine Grove Counseling Center of Jackson opened.

1996

  • Forrest General opened the Fifth Floor Terrace, an open-air courtyard for patients, visitors and employees above the A-wing.
  • The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory was expanded and relocated.
  • Forrest General constructed an elevated parking garage.
  • Lowery A. Woodall retired as executive director of Forrest General. William C. Oliver was named the new executive director.

1997

  • Construction began on a free-standing facility for Forrest General Cancer Center.
  • Forrest General neurosurgeons began using a revolutionary new device known as the Stealth System to perform delicate neurosurgical procedures.
  • The Pine Grove Counseling Center of McComb opened.

1998

  • A new Home Care facility opened on South 28th Avenue in Hattiesburg.
  • The Pine Grove Counseling Center of Meridian opened.

1999

  • The new Forrest General Cancer Center opened at 301 South 28th Avenue in Hattiesburg.

2000

  • The Pine Grove Counseling Center of Picayune, available 24 hours, seven days a week, began operation at 2005 Wildwood in Picayune.
  • Forrest General Hospital and Hattiesburg Clinic consolidated their existing occupational medicine programs to form HealthWorks, LLC, a complete package of occupational medicine services for businesses and organizations.
  • Lowery A. Woodall Outpatient Surgery Facility expanded and remodeled to add new spaces for patients and employees.
  • Pine Grove opened Renaissance, a regional residential eating disorder treatment facility for women 18 years and older. The facility is located at 2807 Arlington Loop in Hattiesburg.

2001

  • Forrest General's Diabetes Care Center, Outpatient Nutrition Services, Weight Management, Lipid Clinic, CardioPulmonary Rehabilitation, Smoking Cessation and Congestive Heart Failure Clinic, along with Hattiesburg Clinic's Endocrinology Department, combine to form Health Management Connection.
  • Pine Grove dedicated new and expanded facilities for its Next Step program at 2255 Broadway Drive.

2002

  • The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) celebrated its 25th anniversary.
  • Forrest General celebrated its 50th anniversary with three days of celebrations at the Hattiesburg Lake Terrace Convention Center.
  • The Mississippi State Department of Health announced the permanent designation of Forrest General Hospital as a Level II Trauma Center.
  • Cardiovascular surgeon Robert Robbins began leading an FDA study to evaluate patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft procedures at Forrest General, one of 100 hospitals in the United States selected to participate.
  • Forrester's Food Court, Forrest General's expanded cafeteria, opened to employees and the public.

2003

  • Forrest General expanded its Dialysis Unit from seven dialysis stations to 12.
  • Forrest General installs new open MRI system, GE Signa OpenSpeed.
  • Forrest General is first in south Mississippi to implant an FDA-approved drug-coated stent.

2004

  • Forrest General gains new device to treat peripheral vascular disease (PVD) - PolarCath Peripheral Dilatation System.
  • Forrest General remodels CARF Accredited Rehab Unit, adds four beds.
  • Forrest General receives Quality Improvement Award at Information and Quality Healthcare's Quality Showcase.
  • Forrest General's Spirit of Women program is established.
  • Forrest General is first in the region to implement the new Stryker 1088 HD cameras in operating rooms.

2005

  • Forrest General Pharmacy unveils new expanded space and robotic drug distribution technology.
  • Forrest General recognized in the Top 100 U.S. hospitals in the Community Value Index (CVI) published by Cleverley & Associates (Columbus, OH).
  • Forrest General was first in the Pine Belt to join Institute for Healthcare Improvement's (IHI) landmark 100,000 Lives Campaign, the first-ever national campaign to save 100,000 lives by implementing proven health care improvement techniques.
  • Forrest General's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) celebrates its 30th birthday! 
  • Forrest General's Spirit of Women hosts first-annual Day of Dance.
  • Forrest General is recognized as a Silver Level Company of Excellence by the American Cancer Society.
  • Forrest General is first in south Mississippi to implement a palliative care program - the Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC).
  • Forrest General is first in south Mississippi to implement a Computerized Physician Order Entry System (CPOE).
  • Forrest General became a supporting/receiving hospital for hospitals in Jefferson Davis, Stone, Perry and Walthall counties, as part of the Mississippi Critical Access Hospital Program.

2006

  • Forrest General introduces LiveWell Center (formerly Health Management Connection).
  • Forrest General's Radiology Department goes digital with new MRI, PACS and CR technology.
  • Forrest General is the first to obtain the Signa EXCITE High Definition 3Tesla system.
  • Forrest General develops the Newborn Individualized Developmental Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP) with the University of Southern Mississippi.
  • Forrest General achieves Quality Respiratory Care Recognition.
  • Forrest General begins construction on water well and tower.
  • Forrest General purchases Crosby Memorial Hospital in Picayune, renaming it Highland Community Hospital.
  • Forrest General's Diabetes Self-Management Program is awarded Education Recognition from the American Diabetes Association.
  • New employee parking lot on Adeline opens.
  • Forrest General receives UnitedHealth Premium designation for cardiac care.
  • Forrest General is the first hospital to evaluate AeroEclipse II breath-actuated nebulizer.
  • Forrest General is designated a HeartCaring-certified hospital.
  • Outpatient Clinical Solutions, an outpatient treatment service, opens its doors.
  • Forrest General's Outpatient Evaluation Center opens.

2007

  • Forrest General Home Care is named to the 2007 HomeCare Elite, ranking it in the top 500 Home Care facilities in the United States.
  • Forrest General's Hospice awarded Pewter Trophy for scoring in the 99th percentile in Press Ganey satisfaction survey.
  • The Forrest General Healthcare Foundation receives a generous gift from Paul McMullan toward construction of the Pine Grove Spiritual Grounds.
  • 28th Place, a partnership between Forrest General and Hattiesburg Clinic, opens its doors, offering a one-stop medical facility for women.

2008

  • Forrest General and Hattiesburg Clinic team up to offer Cardiology Services clinics in outlying areas, including Wiggins, Seminary, Magee, Picayune and Collins.
  • Pine Grove unveils and names McMullan Plaza, the first station in the Spiritual Grounds area, offering a place for patients and community members to heal where art and nature converge.
  • The Forrest General campus, including off-site facilities, is declared a tobacco-free environment!
  • Land is donated to the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation and planning begins for a new Inpatient Hospice Home.
  • The Forrest General Healthcare Foundation unveils Life's Little Miracles, a mural painted by local artist Kym Garraway, that honors generations of babies and raises funds for expansion and renovation of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
  • Forrest General receives a new Neonatal Transport vehicle, specially designed for and dedicated to the transport of critically-ill babies to and from Forrest General.
  • Steven Farrell, M.D., is named the hospital's first Chief Medical Officer, and the CMO Council is established.
  • Forrest General develops eight service lines, designed to streamline delivery of care: Oncology, Heart/Vascular, Medicine, Women and Children's, Ortho/Neuro, Emergency, Behavioral Health and Surgical Services.

2009

  • Forrest General's Wound Healing Center opens, offering comprehensive wound treatment including hyperbaric oxygen chambers.
  • Forrest General achieves certification by the Joint Commission as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center.
  • Forrest General receives Spirit of Women premier status designation.
  • Pine Grove Behavioral Health celebrates 25th Anniversary.
  • Forrest General's Cancer Center celebrates 10th Anniversary.
  • Critical Care opens four additional beds on June 1, giving FGH a total of 40 beds.
  • Forrest General designated Neuroscience Center of Excellence by NeuStrategy, Inc.
  • Forrest General's Respiratory Department receives recognition by the American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC) for the fifth consecutive year.
  • William C. Oliver retires as president and CEO of Forrest General, and Evan Dillard is named the new CEO.



Forrest General is certified as a Primary Stroke Center by DNV Healthcare, Inc.



If you are seeing this, you have attempted to link to the UpToDate widget but are experiencing a problem. Please visit UpToDate for more information.


  Copyright 2009 - 2011. 6051 US Highway 49, Hattiesburg MS 39401

Notice of Privacy Practices | Site Map